Saturday 4 September 2010

Peak District - Ladybower loop

This was my first trip to the peak district. It is an 22 mile loop around Ladybower reservoir starting at the visitor centre.

I set off at 10am and arrived at 12:00. The first climb from the side of the reservoir was quite exhausting but then it levelled out and there were some quite nice views followed by a nice technical rocky downhill section.



It then went pas a pub, along the road, and across the reservoir where I managed to get some nice photos of the damn.



The route followed the roads for a bit up a hill and then a flat section along the side of the hill with some nice views of the surrounding area. I then got to a point where my GPS route split. It  showed the route going back on itself but further up the hill, back down again and continuing the route along the side of the hill. This looked like it could have been a wrong turn by the person who created the route. I decided to follow the route just in case and was glad I did. It lead me up to quite a high-up hill where there were a couple goats and some very nice views.



The track continued down the hill which was quite fast due to the amount I had climbed.



The track then continued until a windy uphill section by a farm followed by a very rock fast downhill section back to the reservoir. I noticed the downhill was starting to get very bumpy and checked my front suspension - I had left the lock-out on from the previous climb! turned the lock-out off and the trail was just as bumpy! I went past a few cyclists coming up who looked liked they wished they were coming down instead; as well as being very rocky, it was also very steep (my wrists were aching from holding the brakes).

I then got back to the the car and the visitor centre at 4.30pm, bought a large coffee and bacon bap, and continued the 2 hour journey home.

The nice thing about this lap was that I wanted to take it slowly to make it last longer (a feeling I don't get at trail centres). I also felt I hadn't gone far enough. I plan on going again but hopefully going a bit further this time.

The route I followed-
http://mtbmonkey.com/Routes/DerbyShire/Ladybower/Ladybower%2020/Ladybower20Image.jpg

GPX of route-
http://mtbmonkey.com/Routes/DerbyShire/Ladybower/Ladybower.zip


Photos:

Peak District - LadyBower Loop 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment